Dr. Mariangeles Gomez
Eating in a balanced and healthy way does not have to be complicated. What’s more, eating healthy can be delicious and varied. The more stimulated we have our palate, the easier it will be to eat healthy.
Here are 5 easy-to-follow tips to eat healthy in your day to day.
- According to the FAO , choose whole foods instead of processed ones. Change frozen pizza and instant ramen for fresh fruits, vegetables and legumes. These are packed with nutrients, fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals. Try to incorporate vegetables at mealtime and snack at least one piece of fruit.
- Say NO to sugary drinks. Sugary drinks can not only be a cause of obesity and type 2 diabetes, but also, excessive consumption can cause liver damage, premature aging, anxiety, etc. Instead of drinking soda or juice, try drinking water or infused water.
MAYO CLINIC recommends drinking at least 2.5 L of water a day (depending on physical activity).
- It counts nutrients NOT calories. If you want to improve the quality of your diet, focus on the nutrients you consume instead of calories. It is the quality of the calorie that has the most impact on our health, not necessarily the amount we consume.
- Have healthy food in sight. When you’re hungry, you’re more likely to eat the first thing you see on the counter or in your kitchen cupboard. Place fruits on the kitchen counter, store healthy snacks in the cupboard. Always have in the refrigerator containers with ready-made legumes, vegetables and fresh fruits already cut; all to make it easier and faster to eat healthy.
- Practice mindful eating. Mindfulness is a form of meditation that involves focusing on the present, that is, what you feel in each moment, even while eating. The practice of mindful eating allows you to slow down and savor food, which can help prevent you from overeating. Take a moment before eating and think about the food you are about to eat. Remind yourself that your body would like to feel satisfied, not full.